Recipe Inspiration with Melanie Albert
Our friend Melanie Albert of Experience Nutrition collaborated with us to share some more recipe inspiration!
Melanie has been shopping at the market for years and was also one of the first to conduct cooking demos on site. It’s her vision to create a beautiful “Plant-Based Food Art Movement” where people around the world are enjoying preparing incredible delicious, beautiful, healthy meals with fresh, locally grown produce, herbs, and edible flowers.
It has been such an honor to lead cooking classes at the Downtown Phoenix Farmer’s Market for a few years and also it’s such an honor to create the Winter Farmers Market-to-Table Flatbread with our local Arizona Winter veggies.
Thanks so much to our local farmers for all the passion and hard work to grow and harvest such beautiful food for our community. – Melanie Albert
This week I had fun “shopping the market” intuitively choosing a variety of different colors, shapes, and tasting veggies from our farmers. Thanks to Downtown Phoenix Farmers Market Manager Colin Dueker who so graciously captured this week’s shopping at the market.
Enjoy the video with all of the cooking steps, and please come over to our Facebook Page to ask any questions and to share your flat-bread creations with us: www.facebook.com/plantbasedfoodart
Visit www.ExperienceNutrition.com for additional plant-based farm-to-table food art recipes.
Farmers Market-to-Table Roasted Veggie Flatbread Recipe
To create the Farmers Market-to-Table Flatbread, create three simple recipes to create a beautiful Food Art dish.
- Cashew Cream
- Quick Roast Veggies
- Quick Yeast-Free Sprouted Spelt Flatbread
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup water, adjust for desired creaminess.
- Pour all ingredients into a mini blender.
- Blend to desired smoothness.
SIMPLE ROASTED VEGGIES
Choose a few of your favorite veggies, such as those from the Downtown Phoenix Farmer Market.
- 3 carrots, sliced (Steadfast Farms)
- 1 golden beet, sliced (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 8-10 small tomatoes (Steadfast Farms)
- 3 slices cabbage, such as the Caraflex (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 1 cup cauliflower, sliced (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 1 cup broccoli, sliced (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 5-6 Brussels sprouts, sliced (Crooked Sky Farms)
- 1 cup waxed beans (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 1 cup peas (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 1 leek, white of leek in rounds (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 2 green onions, sliced (Blue Sky Organic Farms)
- 1 spring garlic, sliced (Al Hamka Family Farm)
- 2-3 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice veggies into bite-sized pieces.
- Place veggies in a roasting pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast 12 minutes.
- Roast another 12 minutes.
- Use roasted veggies as flatbread toppings.
EXPERIENCE NUTRITIONTM Yeast-Free Quick Flatbread Crust
- 1 ¼ cups sprouted spelt flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil (dough)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil (spread on dough prior to baking)
- Place pizza stone into the oven.
- Pre-heat oven at 390 degrees F. Pre-bake stone for about 5 minutes.
- In a large glass bowl, with a fork mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt.
- Add 3/8 cup water and oil until dough forms a ball. Add additional water, as needed.
- Knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Flatten out the dough on floured parchment paper.
- With parchment paper on top of the dough, roll thinly with a rolling pin.
- Carefully move flatbread to the pre-heated pizza stone.
- Spread 1 tbsp of olive oil onto the flatbread.
- Bake flatbread for 5 minutes.
- Remove stone from oven.
To create the flatbread, spread the cashew cream and veggies onto the pre-baked crust, bake, and enjoy!
- Spread cashew cream on the top of the flatbread.
- Add veggies to the top of the flatbread.
- Cook for about 8 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, such as dill (Blue Sky Organic Farms) and bok choy flowers (Maya’s Farm)