In Season: Mulberries
Mulberry season is here! Mulberries can usually be found sold at local farmers markets. They have a sweet exotic flavor that can be eaten raw or used to make unique treats. Mulberry season is short and sweet, so be sure to pick up your box of Mulberries at the market on Saturdays. Below are easy recipes you can try at home using mulberries.
5 Fun Facts About Mulberries
- There are 10–16 species of mulberry. The best known and most commonly cultivated species are red, white and black mulberry
- Even though mulberries may resemble blackberries, they are part of the fig family.
- Mulberries are rich in vitamins C, A, and K and minerals such as potassium, iron, and magnesium.
- They can be consumed raw or in the form of jams, muffins, and pies.
- The leaves of white mulberry trees are an important source of food for silkworms.