Recipe: Beet Burgers
Melanie Albert of Experience Nutrition makes it easy to create farm-to-table recipes. Try out her recipe for beet burgers. Using ingredients from the Market, she walks you step by step through preparing and plating a nutritious meal. Pick up all the ingredients you need on Saturdays from 8 am-12 pm either by shopping directly with local farmers or by preordering on the new Online Store. Stay in touch with us on www.facebook.com/ExperienceNutritionAZ and Instagram @experiencenutritionaz and tag us #experiencenutrition on your plant-based culinary creations.
- 2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion (1 cup), diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red beet (1 cup), diced
- 1 yellow or orange carrot (1 cup), shredded
- 1 ½ cups black beans, cooked
- ¾ cup quinoa, cooked
- ¾ cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Prior to making the burgers, cook black beans and quinoa.
- Cook the Burgers
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Pre-heat medium sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add olive oil to the pan.
- Add red onion to the pan and gently cook for 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic to pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots and beets to pan. Stir. Cook covered for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black beans and quinoa to the pan, and stir well.
- Add walnuts and parsley. Stir.
- Add paprika, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Stir.
- Remove pan from stovetop.
- Make the Patties
- Transfer 1/3 of the cooked mixture into a food processor and process until thick.
- Place the mixtures from the sauté pan and food processor into a large bowl.
- Hand mix (with gloves, if possible).
- With your hands, form tightly packed burgers.
- Place burgers onto parchment-lined flat sheet.
- Cook the Patties
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, flipping at 12 minutes.
- Top with your favorite garnishes and enjoy.